Thursday, May 04, 2006

Mothers Day 'Wknd'


We all know 'Mothers Day' really should be everyday, but who are we kidding here?
Every year since my oldest daughter was born, I have taken a 'girls wknd.' Now, it has not always been 2 whole overnights, but you can do a lot of trashy reading and girlfriend gossip with just one overnight and 2 whole days.
I remember telling that to a friend of mine, and her friend and husband were standing next to us, and this woman said to me 'you have taken a wknd off EVERY YEAR?'
And I said, 'yeah, I mean, I used to get 2 weeks off when I worked in an office, what's 2 vacation days a year? That's nothing.'
And then her husband said to her with nervous laughter, 'Now, don't you start getting any ideas..heh-heh.'
WELL, I OUTTA!!... GRRRR! IT'S TWO FRIGGIN' DAYS PEOPLE! I'M NOT TALKIN' TO TAKE A VACATION WHEN THE BABY HAS JUST POPPED OUT OF THE VAGINA FOR HEAVENS SAKE! BUT AT LEAST 1 YEAR OLD ! HUSBANDS, BE A MAN AND SUCK IT UP AND BOTTLE FEED FOR CHRISSY SAKES!
Eh-hem. Okay, here is my point. For this Mothers Day, even though it is nice for your family to take you to brunch (which BTW I am making for my own Mom), guess who is usually the one wiping the kids hands and chopping up thier food...YOU. Or, if thats not the case, its not like you can order a bunch of mimosas and get good and ripped in front of your kids and mom and mother in law. So, sometimes you need to take matters into your own hands.
Now, now...for those of you moms have those wonderful husbands who do EVERYTHING sweet for you on Mothers Day, don't get your panties all in a bunch over this post. I am HAPPY for you, I say KUDOS to you and your sweetie pie and let us know how he waits on you hand and foot on this special day and surprises you at every turn.
Husband is pretty good about Mothers Day. I usually say 'I need a spa day' and I get spa day. Now, many of you may think that this ruins the 'surprise', but don't knock it, it works for us and we like it that way. Plus, I'm always surprised with the kids and their gifts of hand print artwork or tissue flower boquets (we really say that's all we want, but its okay to admit a deep tissue massage sounds pretty damn good).
So, I continue to make my point of this: It's okay to plan your own Mothers Day if you want to. You are allowed some time on your own and its okay to have the morning with family and then to take off for some much needed R&R. Go ahead, you have my permission and you deserve it!
Here is a picture of me in Big Sur, VERY PREGNANT on one of my girls wknd in 2002.
posted by Mom on the Run @ 12:06 PM |

12 comments

<< Home