Friday, February 17, 2006

Be the Change



I remember reading years ago in a Newsweek essay about a Mom who was conflicted about how teach her kids about homelessness. Her issue was that they were always being asked for money by homeless people and she didn't know how to explain to her children that they couldn't give money to every homeless person they ran into. What struck me most about the essay is that she said 'what I do want to teach to my kids is that we always want our moral compass pointing towards compassion and not indifference.' Those words have always stuck with me and it's great to share the story of Joey Cheek with my daughters. Cheek donated his $25,000 Olympic winnings to the children of the Darfur region of Sudan. Have a wonderful wknd!
posted by Mom on the Run @ 2:18 PM |

2 comments

<< Home